Pension Withdrawal Payment

Certain people who are enrolled in the Japanese Public Pension scheme for 6 or more months are eligible to apply for a lump sum withdrawal. The application can only be completed once leaving Japan but within a 2-year frame.

Who can claim a Lump-sum Withdrawal Payment?

  • You are non-Japanese.
  • You have been covered by a public pension scheme for 6 months or more.
  • You no longer have an address in Japan registered to the Municipal office.
  • You have been entitled to Japanese public pension benefits including Disability Allowance.

What supporting documents do I need?

  • A photocopy of your passport page(s). You must show your name, date of birth, nationality, signature and resident status.
  • A resident document stating you no longer have a registered address in Japan, such as a “Johyo”, which can be obtained from your municipal office.
  • Documents showing your bank’s name, branch name and address, account number, account holders name.
  • Your pension handbook or documents proving your Basic Pension Number
  • An application form from

When you receive the lump-sum it will likely be taxed at a rate of 20.42%. If this is the case you will be able to file a tax return through a tax agent or a dedicated resident of Japan with efficient Japanese language skills. The return will be addressed to the district director of the tax office labelled “notice of lump-sum withdrawal payment (entitled).”